All Dolls Are Art is a figurative sculpture retreat held annually the last weekend in July in Austin, TX. Started in 2011, ADAA seeks to enhance and expand the reach of the medium of figurative sculpture.
All Dolls Are Art’s Mission
- Provide aspiring and experienced doll artists and sculptors with a supportive and creative opportunity to learn new techniques,
- Provide an inclusive environment for artists to improve their skills, meet and build relationships with other artists,
- Provide a venue for artists to exhibit and sell their creations, and
- Bring greater awareness to the public of doll sculpting as an art form.
ADAA is strongly committed to a relaxing retreat, first-class service, and fulfilling the artistic and creative wells of our attendees.
Schedule and Special Events
Thursday, July 23
2pm-midnight – Hotel check-in
8am-4pm – Sales Room Setup
1pm-4pm – Drop off Show and Share Dolls, Silent Auction pieces, Pin Dolls, and Sell Your Doll pieces
4pm – Conference Check-in
5-6:30pm – Opening Reception
7-9pm – Attendee Sales Room Preview
Friday, July 24
9am-noon, 1:30-5pm – Class Day 1
12-1:30pm – Lunch
10am-7pm – Sales Room open
Saturday, July 25
9am-noon, 1:30-5pm – Class Day 2
12-1:30pm – Lunch
10am-5pm – Sales Room Open
6pm-8pm – Conference Banquet
8pm – Pin Doll Swap
Sunday, July 26
9am-noon, 1:00-4:30pm – Class Day 3
12-1:30pm – Lunch
10am – 4:30pm – Sales Room Open
4:30pm-midnight – Sales Room Tear Down
- Show and Share Dolls
- ADAA offers participants the chance to share their dolls with ADAA attendees and visitors to the sales room. Each participant may bring up to 5 dolls to exhibit in the ADAA sales room and exhibit space. Dolls must be turned in Thursday prior to 5pm or may be shipped to AnLiNa Designs up to 2 weeks prior to the event.
- Silent Auction
- ADAA conducts a silent auction benefitting the ADAA scholarship fund and the Austin Children’s Shelter. Attendees are encouraged to donate dolls, doll-making supplies, books and patterns in good condition. Donations should be turned in Thursday prior to 5pm or may be shipped to AnLiNa Designs up to 2 weeks prior to the event.
- Sell Your Doll
- ADAA provides attendees with the opportunity to sell your dolls without the cost of renting a sales table. You may sell 1 to 5 dolls, less a commission of 10%, in the ADAA sales room. Dolls must be labeled with your name, address, and price and turned in Thursday prior to 5pm or may be shipped to AnLiNa Designs up to 2 weeks prior to the event. Checks for proceeds of your sales will be mailed out within 2 weeks of the close of the event.
- Pin Doll Swap
- Do you like jewelry? Join us in a pin doll swap! You may submit 1 to 5 pin dolls, defined to be a figurative sculpture no larger than 5″ tall with a pin back attached, and you will receive pin dolls from other participants in exchange! Each doll must be individually wrapped and labeled with your name, email address, and snail mail address. All wrapped dolls should be placed in a zip lock bag with your name and phone number and the number of pin dolls you are submitting. You can make the same doll or different ones for each of your entries. Pin Doll Swap submissions should be turned in by noon on Friday. You will receive your Pin Doll swap bag at the conclusion of the ADAA Banquet on Saturday.
- Table Favor Dolls
- Each ADAA attendee and ADAA faculty member receives a table favor doll at the ADAA Banquet on Saturday evening. If you would like to contribute table favor dolls, we ask that you commit to make 5 identical dolls and turn them in Thursday during check-in. If you would like to participate, email Amy at anlinadesignsdolls (at) gmail (dot) com.
Venue and Travel
Our venue is the Wyndham Garden Inn and Woodward Convention Center in Austin, TX, located minutes from the airport and downtown Austin. All Dolls Are Art has a group rate for the event that includes breakfast. You can book your hotel room through our group link or you can use our group rate code. Your conference registration includes lunch, plus dinner Thursday and Saturday. For dinner on Friday, you can choose to venture to nearby South Congress or South Lamar and a variety of local restaurants and boutiques, such as Guerro’s Taco Bar, Threadgill’s, and Uncommon Objects. Austin has built a reputation as the Live Music Capitol thanks to Austin City Limits, South x Southwest Music Festival and Pachanga Fest. There is a lot of live music to take in on weekends not far from the hotel.
Austin is served by the Austin Bergstrom International Airport and all major US airlines and some direct international flights. The hotel offers a free shuttle service for attendees arriving by air. If you would like to explore Austin, we recommend renting a car. Austin has light rail and bus service in the downtown area, but there is limited access from the hotel.
Austin in the summer is HOT, with temperatures anywhere from the high 90’s to the mid 100’s during the day and the 70’s or 80’s at night. July can be hot and humid or hot and dry, but either way we love our central air conditioning. Because the airconditioning works overtime, we recommend that you bring a light jacket for in your class room in case you get chilly. The hotel is situated just south of downtown, east of IH35. It’s within a short driving distance of the State Capitol, the Bob Bullock State History Museum, and the University of Texas – which has the LBJ Library, the Harry Ransom Center, and the Blanton Museum. The South Lamar and South Congress areas have funky restaurants and funky shopping. And if you are a live music fan, you are right in the heart of a variety of music venues from the Broken Spoke, to Threadgills and Antone’s.
Registration, Cancellations and Payment Options
Registration opens November 3, 2014 and closes June 23, 2015. If you register prior to January 30, 2015, you will receive a $75 discount off your full conference registration fee! All attendees receive a welcome bag with a variety of hand-made mini-art items inside. All classes have a maximum size but we will maintain a wait list in the event of cancellations. When registering, please indicate your first and second choice for each class day. Classes will be filled in the order registrations are received. As classes fill, the class page will be updated with the current number of openings once there are 5 or fewer spaces remaining.
Pricing and Payments
The workshop and registration fee cover your class registration, the opening reception and banquet and access to the Attendee Preview for the Sales Room. We require a refundable deposit of $100 plus your non-refundable registration fee to hold your class selections. ADAA offers an extended lunch break to allow attendees time to venture out for lunch or shopping. Attendees have to option of purchasing a lunch package priced at $50.00. This includes a buffet lunch of soup and salad, fruit and tea.
We offer a single-day registration option if you would only like to take one class. This option provides you with 1 class, the opening reception, banquet and a welcome bag. Pricing for this option is $140.00 plus the non-refundable registration fee of $50.00. No early registration discounts are available for this option.
Register by January 30, 2015 and receive a $75.00 discount on your full conference registration!
All Dolls Are Art Registration Fee (Non-refundable, applicable to all registrations): $50.00
All Dolls Are Art Full Registration Package (prior to January 30th): $275.00 + $50.00 Registration Fee
All Dolls Are Art Full Registration Package (after January 30th): $350.00+ $50.00 Registration Fee
All Dolls Are Art One-Day Class Registration Package: $140.00+ $50.00 Registration Fee
All Dolls Are Art Lunch package: $50.00
Additional meal packages – Banquet + Reception: $50.00
Example payment for a registration made on February 1, 2015 for the full conference: $50 (registration fee) + $350 = $400 total registration.
Payment Options and Schedule
You may pay by check or via Paypal. Please indicate your selection when you register. If registering for the full conference, you may pay your full balance or may pay in installments.
1st Installment of $150.00 due at registration to hold your class selecitons
2nd installement 1/2 remaining balance due by March 30th, 2015
3rd installment remainder due by June 23rd, 2015.
If final payment is not received by June 23rd, a $25.00 late fee will be assessed. No exceptions.
Hotel reservations and meals
Hotel reservations under the All Dolls Are Art group rate will be available starting November 3, 2014. Your hotel reservation includes breakfast if you use our reservation link or the Group code. If you would like a room mate, you can join the ADAA yahoo group and post a “need a roomie” ad. Hotel reservations must be made by June 1, 2014.
We understand that sometimes, life happens and you may need to cancel. Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing no later than June 1, 2014 to receive a full refund (minus registration fee). Cancellations after this date will be refunded less the registration fee and the deposit. If a class does not fill and the instructor chooses to cancel their class, you will receive a full refund for that class, less the registration fee.